Do you ever get tired of having the same thing over and over again for dinner? Have you ever wanted to experiment a little to make a new dish? Wouldn’t it be great if you could do so while making use of something that’s left over from yesterday’s dinner? Mashed Potato Cakes are the answer to these questions. Making a Mashed Potato Cake is a perfect way to try to change the same old boring mashed potato dish.
Making a Mashed Potato Cake is fairly easy but will require some patience. The total time you need to prepare a Mashed Potato Cake is roughly around 25 minutes: 5 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook. This recipe will be enough for about 4 servings.
- 2 cups of mashed potatoes
- If you will be using leftover potatoes to make into cakes, do not add additional milk or butter to the mashed potatoes or else your cakes will become too loose to form properly
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour for dredging onto cakes
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Onion (optional)
- Cheese (optional)
- Chives (optional)
- Sour cream or applesauce for garnishing (optional)
- Before anything else, remove all of your jewelry and wash your hands thoroughly.
- If you would like to put chives, onion and cheese in your mashed potato cakes, grate them finely and mix them thoroughly with the mashed potatoes.
- Divide the mashed potatoes into 8 equal portions and use your hands to form them individually into ½ inch thick patties.
- Use a nonstick skillet to heat the oil with the butter over a medium high heat until it is almost smoking.
- Mix the flour with the salt and pepper in a pie plate.
- Coat the patties you have made with the flour mixture and carefully place the potato cakes into the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until it is golden brown for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Turn and cook the other side.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!